Friday, February 02, 2007

"Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"
















I came across this article about the Jesus Loves Osama sign yesterday (ht: Justin), and it got me thinking some, on several levels.

1) I thought the reaction of the Austrailian prime minister was interesting. Basically suggesting that the church's prayer priorities could have been somewhere else. I wonder where else he might have suggested.

2) I thought the reaction of the Anglican archbishop was fascinating as well. His suggestion that loving someone equals sanctioning their actions seems like either he has a misunderstanding of love or that he's afraid other people will have that misunderstanding. It's an interesting response.

3) Theologicially, I completely agree with the sign. I truly believe that Jesus loves Osama bin Laden as much as he loves me, and that his death was effective for wiping clean bin Laden's sin and his resurrection gave Osama access to the same victory over death. But I also recognize that that is a hard concept for people (including me) to recognize as a reality, especially in the face of the evil the bin Laden has come to embody. But the question always must be, How would Jesus have us react to bin Laden?

If we were doing humanitarian or mission work in the mountains of Afghanistan or Pakistan and came across whereever he is hiding (if he's still alive), how would Jesus want us to treat him? What if, in his first speech after 9/11, President Bush had gotten up and said, "As a Christian, as a follower of Christ, I declare right now that I forgive Osama bin Laden and his associates for the act of evil they perpetrated and I call on all of my Christian brothers and sisters to do the same," would the world be a different place today that it is now?

And you might say, "Phil, that's totally unrealistic." Maybe so, but there is an Amish community in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania that is doing that very thing. It may be hard, but one of the costs of following Jesus is putting aside our desire for revenge and embracing his love for the people who hate us, not just the ones who like us back.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Phil. I think you hit the nail on the head about how we are to live lives worthy of the calling of Christ.
Ultimately, it is not unrealistic to love Osama (or any other villain) it is just refused.

Jeff said...

Phil, I could probably write more on this, but I think the main reason we struggle with the concept of loving a bin Laden, the 9/11 terrorists, etc. is that we want to believe that God/Jesus sees me in a more favorable light than they do those others that perform such terrible acts. I think that is at the core of the negative reaction from some Christians to something like this - they just can't believe that God could love someone that does "really bad things" like terrorize and murder. We only do "kind of bad things", like gossip, lust, covet, etc. It's just another of the mysteries where God just doesn't think or love like we do.

I think another sign would be "Jesus died for Osama."

Karen said...

I can love my children when they disobey, yet still give them consequences for their disobedience. So what prevents us from loving Osama and leading him to whatever punishment awaits him?

Phil said...

Right, and I didn't say that there aren't consequences, but part of our act in this is forgiveness and love.

gavin richardson said...

i saw this thing yesterday over on jonathon's blog. followed the links back the articles. i must say i did like the arch-bishops response over the pm's, i didn't read in the sanctioning of actions by loving them, but i see where you are with that. i think people are way to pent up with the fear still that people don't know what forgiveness is. agreed the amish community are a great example for us all in forgiveness.

Bobby Cohoon said...

Amen Phil.

steve said...

Thanks for the awesome post, Phil.

I don't know how the Amish handle living sinners, but I know how Christ did. I cried when I learned about the Amish, the same tears I cry when I see Christ facing the cross without succumbing to hatred. Can I live that ideal? Absolutely not. Thus I need grace.

It was pointed out to me once that I want mercy for myself and justice for everyone else. Too bad, Steve, your choices are: justice for everyone, or mercy for everyone. I'm part of everyone and I get to choose which world I want to live in. Since I am in no position to face justice, I better choose mercy for everyone. Translation: "He who is without sin . . ." But how do I feel merciful towards someone like Osama? I can't answer that question, but I have to keep asking it. Also, I have to just say no to the "Thank you Lord, that I am not so bad as that sinner over there . . ." mentality.

I can't say I'm really capable of loving Osama (without divine help). But I do know His commandments, and so I have to confess ALL hatred, even if it seems justified (aka in line with justice).

Anonymous said...

Jeff, how do you think people will get "Jesus died for Osama" from the "W" sticker on your car?

Unknown said...

Osama is loved by God. But Osama is not in a covenanted relationship with God through Jesus Christ. And so, he is not a child of God in the way Phil is, though he is a child of God in the way that all people are.

If I met Osama in a cave, I would do my best to bring him to justice. Why? Because God doesn't ONLY love Osama. He also loves Osama's victims, and, being a just God, requires justice for his other beloved children as well.

God also loves all of Osama's followers, who are encouraged to sin by Osama's continued leadership. Removing Osama is an act of love towards them, because they will walk in less sin.

God loves Osama enough to end Osama's sinful behavior, and this might be done through imprisonment, or perhaps death. Though death should be God's decision.

And Osama is not the only evil leader in the world that God loves.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro