Thursday, February 22, 2007

Happiest Birthday

Today is Sheryl's birthday.

Fifteen years ago today, we shared our first kiss. We had gathered with a bunch of other friends in the lobby of the Sewell dorm at Lipscomb University to watch the original Star Wars trilogy. Somehow, she and I ended up sitting next to each and we ended up holding hands or something like that.

I'd been noticing her for awhile in our Education classes and she was the roommate of a girl I went to high school with, so we knew each other. So possibly, it wasn't an accident that I say next to her. After the movies were over, I walked her back to her dorm and at the door, said, "Happy Birthday" and kissed her. This was the beginning of our first relationship, which ended two weeks later with Sheryl kindly telling me that she wasn't "ready for me." This would be the first of two times she dumped me.

And we probably weren't ready for each other. But I can honestly say that I am glad that God has brought her into my life to be my friend and my wife and the mother of our children. I couldn't ask for any more than she is and I can't wait for the next ten years with her and beyond.

Happy Birthday, babe! I love you with everything I am.






















8 comments:

Adam said...

Awwww, that was sweet Phil. Our wives make us much better people. Tell Sheryl "Happy Birthday" for me. See you guys soon.
AE

Amy S. Grant said...

That is so sweet! Happy celebrating today! I'm sure you just gave her one of her best gifts with this post.

Elizabeth S said...

Happy Birthday, Sheryl! What a great picture!

Malia said...

Ewwww! Talkin' about kissin' and holdin' hands! Gross!

(happy b-day to Sheryl!)

Suzie said...

Happy Birthday Sheryl!!

I love the picture.

I can't believe we have all known each other fifteen years.

Kelley said...

Great picture. I hope you have a very large one of these hanging somewhere in your house so that you can see it EVERY day!
Nothing compares to the jelly knees a Christian spouse can give.
Glad you found your true love and she found you!
Happy birthday to your true love!

amanda said...

Awwww!! it's Chatsworth!

happy birthday, Sheryl!

hey, Phil, let's for real get a kite-flyin, tire swingin, see-sawin picnic going at the red caboose next month. that sounds like much fun!

Clarissa said...

Happy Birthday, dear friend Sheryl. Phil, you chose well.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro