Friday, April 22, 2005

England Travelogue Intro

First things first. Please pray for Ira Hays, newborn son of Joe and Laura Hays in NYC.

I’m going to do something a little different with the blog for the next two weeks.

Five years ago, Sheryl and I took a two week trip to England and Scotland, May 20 through June 3, 2000. This was before Kinsey was born and I had decided to quit teaching (Did you know I taught high school English for six years?). One of our dreams before we started our family was to go to England and Scotland without the encumbrance of children, so we saved up for the entire year, asking only for money as gifts for birthdays and Christmases. We had a great time. Honestly, it’s one of my top three memories behind getting married and Kinsey’s birth. It was a trip that lived up to every expectation I had and exceeded them.

The reason this is in the forefront of my mind is that Sheryl and I have agreed to participate in a trip to Loughborough, England in October with some singles from Otter Creek. I hesitate to call it a mission trip, since I’m starting to believe that my entire life is a mission to expand the Kingdom of God. We’re going to work with the local Church of Christ there and help with their Holiday Bible Class (HBC), roughly analogous to our Vacation Bible School here in the states. We’re really looking forward to it and even embarking on the adventure of taking Kinsey with us. Here's another explanation for the trip.

So, starting tomorrow, I’m going to post a travelogue that I kept on our trip back in 2000. I'll post everyday for the next two weeks, except for one day that you'll understand on the next day.

I hope you enjoy experiencing a little of what we did and post your comments.


2005 Thoughts
Post Trip Thoughts
Day Thirteen
Day Twelve
Day Eleven
Day Ten
Day Nine
Day Eight
Day Seven
Day Five
Day Four
Day Three
Day Two
Day One of the trip
Intro

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I'm really looking forward to reading about your trip. i have always had such fantastic experiences in the UK, and can't wait to get back.

And I'm glad that you're not calling it a mission trip. I'm not, either. It's a trip to further a mission, but I agree that our mission is longer than that one week. Our mission should be 24/7. And I'm hoping our work in Loughborough will extend beyond this October and into future years.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro