Monday, January 29, 2007

Trust

I was perusing the Tennessean's website this morning and ran across this article about a former minister from here in Nashville, David Slater, being arrested in Texas on theft charges. He had also been arrested here in Nashville for theft at a YMCA.

A couple of things struck me about the article.

1) Slater apparently had access to the school because he was an associate minister at a church renting the school. I know there are a lot of new churches out there that are using schools as their meeting places; I think an unfortunate by product of this will make schools either more cautious about it or less willing to do it, period.

2) After Slater's first arrest here in Nashville, he came and spoke at Otter Creek. He talked about the renewal and restoration in his life. This is one of those times that you look at someone and wonder if he was just lying about that or if he was being honest at that point in his life and something has happened between then and now to make him resort back to a previous sin. It is one of the deep ironies of the Christian life that at one point you can feel completely freed of a sin and at another one completely trapped by that same one. Is there an easy solution to that? No. What is does take is a group of people that you can be completely honest with and accountable to so that when the problems that might force someone into theft or an affair or greed, there's someone that knows you well enough to call you on it.

What I imagine is that Slater's going to be in jail for a while. My hope is that he would find some way to deal with whatever is pushing him to break people's trust and steal from them. I doubt he'll be trusted in such a position again, but hopefully he'll find a way to put his life back together.

5 comments:

Rob Cox said...

After reading your blog, I can't help but wonder if he has Kleptomania, an impulse control disorder along the same lines of an addiction. If he has that then stealing releases tension. It would be very easy to understand why he could talk about "renewal and restoration" and yet fall off the wagon later. Odds are he doesn't have this, but like you, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The value of accountability with a small group like you describe is immense. I can't imagine what my life would be like without the groups I participated in while in Nashville.

Tony Arnold said...

Phil, good points. I had the same thoughts last night when I saw this on the news.

One thing that I feel is important for Christians to understand, especially when I am one that fails, is that there is a big difference between forgiveness by your Christian family and absolution of the consequences of your sin.

We can be forgiven and supported, but still have to face the consequences of our actions. What I mean is that Mr. Slater was forgiven and supported by his church here, but maybe it was best that he never entered the ministry as a leader again.

You had a post in the past similiar to this issue. I think those that put themselves forward as leaders of the church take on, voluntarily, a higher standard to which to be held. I believe scripture supports this premise. The Jewish leaders were constantly held to a higher standard by God and his judgment in the OT and by Christ in the NT.

When you fail that responsibility, then I believe the Christian body has the obligation to forgive and support you...support you through the consequences of your failure...not to by-pass those consequences. Enduring the consequences is likely one of God's refining fire methods and a way of maturing a Christian.

Living with the consequences of sin while being a leader likely means learning to serve the kingdom in a more humble manner.

If Mr. Slater does go to prison and he is truly repentant, it is likely that God will lead him to serve in a way that few others could and he may end up serving the Kingdom in a more profound way than he ever would have by leading a church.

I may have ventured off your intented subject. I am sorry if I did.

Tony

Malia said...

Wow. I hadn't heard that yet. That's so sad. I remember him speaking at OC, it was such a powerful message.

Anonymous said...

such wisdom

Anonymous said...

Phil, I appreciate your thoughts on this. We are most at risk when we think we have totally overcome.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro