Wednesday, October 22, 2008

NY Times: The Making (and Remaking and Remaking) of McCain

I don't know if you're tired yet of me talking about politics. And if you are, I'm sorry. But this campaign has been one of the most fascinating that I can remember. Maybe as interesting as Bush/Clinton in 1992 (oh, Lord, that's 16 years ago...)

However, if you are at all interested in the inner workings of political campaigns, I HIGHLY recommend this article in the New York Times on the McCain campaign.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/magazine/26mccain-t.html

It's fairly well balanced, and presents the journalist's view of 6 different campaign narratives of the McCain campaign.

#1 The Heroic Fighter vs. the Quitters
#2 Country-First Deal Maker vs. Nonpartisan Pretender
#3 Leader vs. Celebrity
#4 Team of Mavericks vs. Old-Style Washington
#5 John McCain vs. John McCain
#6 The Fighter (Again) vs. the Tax-and-Spend Liberal

It's long, and it will be interesting if a different article is written if McCain wins and if they publish a similar piece on the Obama campaign. But for political junkies (like me) this article is like crack.

2 comments:

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I totally agree...it was like Crack! I devoured that article!

Brian Hight said...

Very interesting. Gives a good insight to the back-room machinations that take place away from the camera's prying view.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro