Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Good Place

I've used this blog a lot to talk about the issues that I've had with raising kids, and there are always issues with busy-ness and life and such.

But I have to say that I really love it right now. My morning starts with getting Connor up and out of bed and dressed and so I get to see him every morning. He gives me hugs and I send him in to help wake Kinsey up. She gets up and they watch Playhouse Disney together while eating breakfast. That's usually where they are when I leave so I get goodbye kisses and tell them to have a Magnificent Monday, Terrific Tuesday, and so on.

When I get home in the afternoon, I change and then will play with them for a while. Right now, we can go outside and play in the backyard, swinging or playing ball or something. We eat dinner together and then it's bath time. If they have time, they play for a little while (not too much splashing) and then we get them in their PJs and get them into bed. I'll read a few pages of the Harry Potter book we're currently on (Prisoner of Azkaban, right now), and get them into bed. Last night, Kinsey read a chapter from her Magic Treehouse series and it was so good to hear her reading so smoothly and enjoying it.

Are the kids perfect? No. Sheryl and I still struggle with Kinsey being polite and listening to us and we had to force Connor to eat last night and bribe him with ice cream. He's getting into his 2 year old stage where he gets very selfish and wants to say "No" a lot.

But all in all, we're in a really good place right now. I know it's not going to last, and that's ok. I just want to make sure I hold onto these times for the times 6 years from now when Kinsey slams her door shut and tells us that she hates us and we'll never understand her because we're too old and don't remember what it's like to be a teenager. Ahhh, good "future" times...

1 comment:

Tony Arnold said...

Our pattern is very similiar Phil, minus the one child, even down to the books being read.

I miss a few more mornings and evenings than you, but a pretty close match anyway.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro