Monday, May 08, 2006

Father's Day

Wherein Phil once again removes all doubt as to his true uncoolosity.

I've talked before on this blog about my love for the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, so I won't go into how I loved the 1978 series as a child or how the writing and acting are so well done. Except for what I just did. Anyway...

Back when I was in 8th grade, I fell in with a circle of friends who were Trekkies. Again, I know this isn't much of a surprise to most of you, but they were my buds and we hung out together. Through some of our talks, I learned about this show from Britain called Doctor Who, at that point starring Tom Baker as the Doctor. It was showing on PBS here in the States, so I'd check it out on Saturday nights. I thought it was kind of neat and gave me something to talk about with my friends on Monday. It didn't inspire the same kind of rabid obsession in me as some other things did, but I enjoyed it.

Well, much like BSG, Doctor Who has made a return to the small screen. And much like the original that I watched, it hasn't blown me away. I've loved Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor, and let's face it: Billie Piper as the Companion Rose Tyler is just very attractive.

However, nice time travel and space travel plots are nothing without characters you can care about good stories and Friday, April 28th gave one of those in Father's Day. I won't give a detailed plot summary here; you can read the recap for that. Let's just say that I don't get teary-eyed at much that I watch, but when I watched this I had tears streaming down my face and I immediately had to go up to Kinsey's room and give her a hug in her sleep. In a story that could be a typical meet your family in the past one, Rose saves her dad from a accidental death that of course opens a hole in the space-time continuum. But it's in talking with him that she gets her idealized thoughts about him shattered and then in the sacrifice he makes, she loves him more than she thought possible. It was a great hour of TV. And while I can't recommend everyone watch it (it is very weird and very British), those who like that kind of thing will find it close to Star Trek Deep Space 9's The Visitor.

Tomorrow? The story of the fake test key.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Battlestar Galactica? I was a Buck Rogers man back in the day.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro