Monday, September 25, 2006

Disappointment

On the fourth Sunday every month, I head west of Nashville to worship with some guys at a prison out in the middle of nowhere. When we go, there is always one guy, David, who is cleaning the floors as we go in. He always smiles and we have a little conversation before we get patted down.

Last month , when we came in , the excitement on his face was very apparent. He told us that he was coming up for parole and if we would pray for him. He was extremely excited and looking forward to his release. We were excited for him as well. There is something so invigorating about a man about to be set free from prison.

Well, we came back last night, and there was David, cleaning the floors. I asked him what happened, and he said he was declined parole and was going to have to complete the rest of his sentence, another 2 years or so.

I don't know what David did to be incarcerated. I don't know how long he has been in. What I do believe from looking in his eyes last night as the tears filled them, that his faith has been shaken. He believed that God was going to set him free and he wasn't. David is holding on, because for many in prison, faith is sometimes all there is to hold on to. What I couldn't imagine before I started going to the prison and can only barely imagine now is what it's like to go in to the prison and not be able to leave, as I'm able to do every month.

It looks like I'm going to see David for a while and I hope God will sustain him. I ask for your prayers for him as well.

No comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro