Monday, April 17, 2006

So... How've you been?

Well, it was a very interesting 40 days without blogging. I found it to be an experience that had some unexpected outcomes. On the positive side, I had a bit more time, not having to write and think about writing. There was no pressure on me to try and come up with something deep to write on the blog when necessary. On the other hand, I didn't have the same outlet for my thoughts that I've had for the last year. So that really brought home the meaning of giving something up for Lent.

Of course, like I said yesterday, it's nice to be back.

So, here's what went down with me while I was gone. Otter Creek moved into its new sanctuary. This has positives and negatives that I'm sure I'll discuss in the near future. I served my first Sunday as the technical director of the worship services and I'll talk about that in the near future too (probably on the same day). I went to Colorado to go skiing with Sheryl, Kinsey, and my mom and dad. I read my first fun fiction book in a long time, Tad Williams' The War of the Flowers. A great fun book, btw. I've been heads down in a project at work. Sheryl and I have cleaned out the former office and her dad painted the walls a light blue last week. We'll paint yellow stripes on the wall at some point in the next week. This weekend I cleaned the carpets and got a closet system for his room. Kinsey and I went to Build-A-Bear Workshop on Friday and made a bear for her and she made one for Connor, which I think she'll enjoy knowing that she made something like that for him. I've also been reading The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the Church by Reggie McNeal, which has been very interesting. I'm sure I'll be talking about that one.

Let's see, anything else? I don't think so. Adam Ellis and I continued doing the Post-Restorationist Radio Podcast which has been as fun as always.

Oh, I started doing a podcast of Lee Camp's class on the atonement that he's teaching at Otter Creek this spring. If you're not familiar with Lee Camp, he is a Bible professor at Lipscomb University. You also need to read Mere Discipleship right now. My current spiritual journey has been as informed by Mere Discipleship as much as by Brian McLaren's A New Kind of Christian. Give Lee a shot. You will get some great thinking out of both the podcast and the book.

So anyway, I'll be getting back on my schedule of Mondays for what I'm reading and watching, Tuesdays for family, and Fridays for my other stuff. Nice talking to you all again.

4 comments:

Tony Arnold said...

Phil also worked very hard on our Easter celebration Sunday evening. Having been in the chorus for this, I know how much time he put in. I am amazed at all the other things he did. Where do you find the time? You put me to shame Phil.

Tony

Tiffany said...

Welcome back, Phil!

Malia said...

Welcome back. You've been missed!

fabricsnob said...

PHIL! Glad I got to say that on your blog. Glad you are back. Thanks for all your hard work for yesterday's service.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro