Monday, February 05, 2007

TiVo Super Bowl

Behold the power of TiVo.

If you're a regular reader here, you know about some issues I had with TiVo a couple of weeks ago. Well, all is forgiven. TiVo truly changes the way you watch television. Take last night for example. Super Bowl XLI, which I think is Roman numerals for 865.

We generally get together with friends to watch the game, but he had to work until 6 and the game started at 5:30. What do we do? Set the TiVo to record and just not turn on the TV until he gets there.

We also both have young kids, which generally means a lot of interruptions by said kids. And that truly happened with ours. Problem before TiVo. Afterwards? Sure, it's an annoyance when you're in the flow of a game, but generally, just hit pause, take care of whatever pressing need they have and restart it.

Bedtime? Pause the game. Do all of the nighttime stuff that needs to happen (brushing teeth, reading stories, saying prayers, singing songs, etc), head back downstairs and start the game back up.

Want to rewatch an especially funny commercial? Rewind and rewatch (note that this did not happen very much last night). Want to skip through a boring commercial? Want to skip the halftime show, because Prince just doesn't interest you? Fast forward, although it might have been funny to watch, just to see if he fell in the torrential downpour he had to play in.

All in all, even with starting it late and taking care of the kids, we finished the game an hour after it actually ended. Not too bad overall. Well done, TiVo.

As to the game itself, if I didn't dislike the Colts for being in the Titans' division and didn't dislike Peyton Manning for being from UT (and being more overexposed than Paris Hilton), I'd really like the Colts for how they play and how Coach Tony Dungy approaches the game, so I'm happy that they won. They were immensely helped out by Rex Grossman deciding that taking care of the football was a low priority in the game, much as the Chicago defense felt like stopping Indy's running game wasn't really important. As badly as Chicago played, it was still amazing that the score was as competitive as it was so late in the game. So kudos to Indy for winning. Just remember the team that only lost to you by 1 point at your house, then took you out down here. Hopefully those games will be as competitive next year.

3 comments:

Jennifer Thompson said...

Phil, you know that normally I just treat your anti-Tennessee comments as those of a perpetually bitter Vandy fan (in other words, I ignore them). But this time I must speak. There is NO WAY that Peyton Manning is as overexposed as Paris Hilton. (Well, other than last week.)

Upon further thought, it occurs to me that one reason you may think this is because of his many television commercials. Since I have had TiVo for over a year now, I have actually seen very few of these. So that will make you happy.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big Prince fan, but I thought he was phenomenal last night.

Phil said...

anonymous, yes, I am American. Feel free to not read me again.

Scott, I watched his performance on YouTube at lunch today and I was rather impressed with what I saw.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro