Friday, February 18, 2005

Homosexuality

Last week on Brandon Thomas’ blog, a discussion erupted about homosexuality. Brandon decried the appearance of a conservative Christian woman on a reality show blasting a lesbian couple. He mourned for the appearance of followers of Christ who would be so hateful to another person.

Well, rightfully so, the idea then came up about where the rubber meets the road. And ultimately the question is this: Can an actively gay person be considered a Christian?

Honestly, it’s been much easier for me to think about being homosexual and being Christian as mutually exclusive. In fact, most homosexuals I know (admittedly, a small number) want nothing to do with religion or church, for a variety of reasons, and it’s only been recently that I’ve been exposed to the idea that a homosexual would even want to be a Christian.

All my life, I’ve believed that homosexuality is a sin. That engaging in such an act would lead to damnation. Now, I’m very grateful that GayChristian and others on Brandon’s blog have gone to the Scriptures and pointed out their interpretations of the Scriptures that deal with homosexuality, and I can say that I’m not sure I buy all of that.

What I can say is that it’s opened me up to a new way of thinking. A new perspective. Do I believe homosexuality is a sin? Yes, I do, but no more damning of a sin than lying or being greedy or gossiping. But I can see things from that side of things.

Something I’m learning. The world’s not black and white. And what I’m learning even more is that in between the black and white is not gray, but a kaleidoscope of colors. God is not in the blacks and whites only, but He operates in those colorful places. How? I don’t know, but I trust that He is.

No comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro